Once you have Dump Cake on the brain it’s tough to abandon the thought. Such a simple dessert and so many possible variations. I had to get lunch together today and had only an hour to do it. A quick trip to the store produced some nice fresh corn, some turkey burgers, jalapeño, and avocado. . . sounds good so far right? Got a lot better.
When I was passing the baking isle I thought of Dump Cake, as I am prone to do! I went with a classic made with crushed pineapple, blueberry pie filling and yellow cake. However some butterscotch chips caught my eye so in the cart they went.
Once I got home this was ready to go in the oven in less time than it took to preheat.
1 can crushed pineapple (about 20 ounces), not drained
1 can blueberry pie filling (about 21 ounces)
6 ounces butterscotch chips
1 stick unsalted butter (1/4 pound)
1 box yellow cake mix (about 16 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350f
1. In a 9 by 13 pan put the pie filling and the crushed pineapple.
2. Spread 1/2 of the butterscotch chips evenly over the pie filling.
3. Top with the dry cake mix, scatter the remaining butterscotch chips evenly over the cake mix.
4. Slice the butter in 1/8th inch slices evenly top the Dump Cake.
5. Bake at 350f until golden brown on top. Typically about 40 minutes.
6. I prefer to serve dump cake cold or room temperature. Top with a bit of whipped cream.
Thyme for More Dump Cake,